Monday, January 14, 2008

Times Grill

Last week Kate told us about the Times Grill in Baymeadows and said it was a pretty good place for a burger. She specifically sent us the email because she thought there was one opening on the westside and thought we should check it out, so we did.

Yesterday Jason and Robin paid a visit to the newest Times Grill location at 5149-1 Normandy Boulevard. Here's Jason's account of the event (with pics!).

It took us about 30 minutes to actually find the place (hence the Soul Food Bistro post - we encountered it along our travels). Turns out it's right behind the Blockbuster near the SUPER MEGA Winn-Dixie. Yeah, the location does suck, and we were a little weary. We even had a few other choices in case the clientele was a little too swarthy for us. As I slowly crept by the front of the establishment we peered through the windows to assess the situation. All was clear and we decided to exit the vehicle to check the place out.

When you first walk in theres is a hostess to seat you, we were a bit surprised. (I thought it was going to be like a Panera or Loop where you place your order at a counter and the food is brought to you.) No, this is a full service restaurant. It was nice and very clean inside. They had the AFC game on all of the flat panel TVs that were scattered along the walls, not too loud though. Overhead we could hear an American Top 40 broadcast from the 80's (Men at Work's "Land Down Under" was #1).

We sat at our booth and began to scour the HUGE Menu.

Here's what we had.....


Jason (I) had the Fried Mushroom and, get this, the Cheesie Weenie which is the Times burger topped with a grilled Black Angus hot dog, cheddar cheese and chopped white onions. Sort of as a joke....like Emily with Nicky G's Beer Buzz Pie and, admittedly, it was quite good.


Robin had Onion Rings and the Cajun Sunset Burger - The Times burger, seasoned with Creole spices and topped with a perfect pan fried egg. Robin was very pleased with the food as well.

Our server Regina was fantastic and we tipped her accordingly. We think we would go back but we will need to see how the place fares in the upcoming weeks/months. Hopefully Times Grill can keep up the good work!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went by the Normandy location out of curiousity, sparked by your review. I would have never known it was there.

I bought the Blue Ribbon Chili Burger after a very long decision making processes. There were several burgers I wanted to order, but I had to choose one. I ended up being very happy with my decision, but I will be back to try another.

Thanks for letting me know about this hidden place. I hope it sticks around for a while. We will see.

Unknown said...

My daughter and I have eaten there countless times. The service is consistently good and very friendly, the food very tasty and their french fries are outstanding!

Anonymous said...

After sitting for over an hour and receiving no food, my wife and I abandoned our first choice on our first anniversary for Times Grill. Times' service and food was so fantastic it has become a tradition. We went back on our second anniversary. It's a great burger joint. It's somewhere you can catch a game or just hangout with family and friends. I definitely recommend it. The location isn't that great though.

Trivia Steve said...

Times is great. Love the menu, beers, people, management. Very well run.

Trivia Steve said...

Times is great. Love the menu, beers, people, management. Very well run.

gravit8ed said...

I actually met one of the co-owners of this chain (there are several throughout the state) before going and we a bit suspicious of the talking-up it recieved...

But every word of it was well-deserved. I've been back several times and have tried most of the burgers, all of which were fantastic - good quality meat, cooked to order, with some devious twists and specialties. I can't, however, convince several of my friends to return with me as the burgers can be very messy and I enjoyed eating them with abandon. The service has been consistently quick and friendly, with a separate bar area (with high tables and stools) and dining area (usually filled with family types) so you have two choices of dining experience.
Happy hour consists of 2-4-1 on domestics, they come in frosty mugs and they never go empty before service.
Appetizers are your standard fare, and come as quickly as hand-breaded fried apps can. Expect to pay about the same as your average named-chain sit-down, without the flare - about $20 a person w/brews and apps. You won't leave hungry, but you might want to leave your manners at home, cause there is simply no way to eat one of their burgers without getting some on your face =D Highly recommended.

Unknown said...

My wife gave me head in the booth! No one noticed!

Unknown said...

They closed down.