Thursday, April 23, 2009

Goings on at River City Brewing Company

Jacksonville Confidential reader Tony just sent us an email with a little information that we thought you guys would like to know.

"....was watching the channel 12 news and saw a commercial for River City Brewing. They tout new menu, new chef, best food in NE FL. Pretty tall claims. I have never been but heard a few negative things so never sought out. Anyway - took a look their dinner menu on their website and found this nugget:

There is a $16.95 minimum food purchase required for all adult dinners in our main dining room.

WTF? Want to get a salad and bowl of soup? Tough shit. Want to just buy a salad? Tough shit. Looks like they do not even offer a salad unless you purchase an entree."

After hearing this, we hopped, skipped, and jumped on over to the River City Brewing Company Website to see for ourselves. Sho' nuff, its right there on the dinner menu in black and white.....

We will admit that we partook of happy hour a few weeks ago on the back deck of River City Brewing and had a great time, great drink specials too. We also tried their brunch, which was not so great, hopefully the new chef will do a better job than the previous one.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that I've ever seen a "minimum charge" requirement at a restaurant in Jacksonville before. Strip clubs, perhaps, but not restaurants. LOL That really takes some nerve, and I just hope the improved menu, chef, and service can justify this attitude. Goodness knows they certainly had a LOT to improve given how far the place had fallen these past two years.

Joe said...

Ok haters, this one is worth hatin' on. That is rediculous.

Anonymous said...

bloody mary's used to come with brunch....Imagine our surprise when we were charged full price.

Anonymous said...

Last time I went there, the food was bad, the service was bad, and the place smelled like spoiled fish. No thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nothing there is worth anything over $8.95 including drinks! F%&ing ridiculous!

Unknown said...

Have any of you ever been to a fine dining, white tablecloth restaurant before. Idiots. Stick to your Applebees. You don't belong in fine dining. I've been there several times, enjoyed the food and ambiance. Sorry your entree of a $5 salad didn't come with cornbread.

Ron Mexico said...

Patrick - fine dining, RCBC? Are you fucking kidding me? The only thing fine there is the mold linking the kitchen.

The Editor said...

Have you guys ever seen Patrick V. on the Jam Cam? - http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1599424

Anonymous said...

RCBC - Fine Dining? HA!

Anonymous said...

First post...Try La Cena. Their menu also has "requirements".
That menu is a fascinating read. It made us (all ten of us in the restaurant biz) get up and exit. Everyone has that option and right.
Maybe it will give the owners a heads up if more people actually expressed themselves at the place of discontent.

The Editor said...

Maybe we should start organizing weekly or monthly JC "restaurant walk-outs" at some of these places to really get the point accross.

Anonymous said...

RCBC is fine dining? In which universe? I have no problems paying $50 or even $100 for a dinner - If It's Worth It. I have never had an experience at RCBC that warranted what they charged and now.. this "minimum purchase" crap? Let's just see how much money they keep losing no matter how good the new chef is. You don't bring customers in by telling them they have to spend a minimum amount.

So long, farewell and I hope we never meet again, RCBC.

Anonymous said...

I think La Cena just wants to be transparent in their service policy, and not make anyone do anything they do not want to. You know what to expect right upfront. Personally, I love the place. The food is consistently good and I don't have to sit next to any riff-raff or kids, as is the case with many restaurants that will accept anything that comes along because they need the money.

Anonymous said...

They have a major rat problem down there, no one should eat there. I worked in the kitchen there last year and it is not clean.

Anonymous said...

I went to RCBC once for brunch and was really disappointed, with everything. The service was atrocious, starting with the rude hostess who sighed when we told her we had a party of 7. It took 30 minutes for us to get a table. Then the server took our drink order, and took 10 minutes to get them. He came back once during our meal and charged us 18% gratuity. On a legal matter, our tax also had gratuity added, which is illegal. Now to the food... It was disgusting, and most of the buffet was empty the whole time. Just a complete disappointment. I've eaten at many places in Jacksonville that were much better with a more REASONABLE price

Unknown said...

I wrote that last comment and I want want my name on it.

Unknown said...

And to the Editor, when you walk out on your bill, it is not the restaurant that pays it, it's your server. the only one you are punishing is the person that makes $4.25 an hour. I also work in a restaurant. I would love for you to to come to mine. We would love to have your business. I hope you enjoy your food and our restaurant. Should you choose to walk out, I remember faces and names. Not only is that stealing, but you will have other things to worry about.

Anonymous said...

um, When I wrote that we chose to leave La Cena it was BEFORE we were served. It had nothing to do with pricing by the way. It was the political agenda and the pain in the ass it would be to the chef and a insult to his creativeness. (Never mind if some people have an allergy) Clearly written on the menus. Being in the biz myself as well as the other 9 at the table we would never ditch a tab. We understand any problem in the "house" is usually not the server. Editor did not imply he would leave an unpaid tab.

The Editor said...

I said nothing about not paying dumb ass. What I said was we should go to restaurants like this, sit down, look at the menu, make note of the "minimum purchase requirement", and then have a mass exodus.

I too was in the service industry for many years and I would never stiff a server.

Anonymous said...

Why does any care about this place? I thought they were just basically a watering hole, not a serious culinary destination, the food has never been good and never will, its just a place were women and men go to get drunk and pick each other up and then go home to breed.

Anonymous said...

Kinda like an oral explosion!